22 January 2014

Find your meaning...


What does this little purple ribbon mean to you?

The humble purple ribbon has, over time come to represent and raise awareness of many different causes. Some of these are Alzheimer's Disease, Epilepsy, Lupus and Domestic Violence to name but a few. I however, would like to bring to your attention that for many whom are tackling an illness on a daily basis this humble purple ribbon has come to represent the struggle some face with
Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn's Disease.

Never known what this purple ribbon represents? I am not ashamed to say that until not so long ago I too was totally unaware of its meaning. Maybe it is something I should have known, or maybe there should be more awareness or perhaps we need to shout it from the rooftops. Show everyone what this purple ribbon represents. 

"It's more than a ribbon, it's a movement."
- IBD and Ostomy Awareness.

This ribbon has come to mean a lot more than just representing Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn's Disease. It is anything but a humble purple ribbon. For me, having lived for a few years with Ulcerative Colitis it has a vast meaning. Some who have it or know a loved one tackling these illnesses may feel this ribbon for them represents sadness, loss, despair, pain, suffering, anxiety or depression. I can relate, I have been through many of these emotions myself. Chronic illness is a hard thing to deal with. Seeing others in pain and not being able to comfort them must be so hard.... 

I also see another side of this ribbon, I see it represents a community that is filled with strong, courageous people. The kind of people who's legacy others talk about. Through the illness I have found strength, bravery and determination. I am filled with hope, happiness and love. A new start, a new chapter and unity. 
I see UNITY. x

Tell a friend, a relative, tell the people in your school or workplace. 
"Do you know what the purple ribbon represents?" Start conversations, spark debate. Jump up and down screaming and shouting, just get the word out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment